5 Famous People Who Set Goals and Worked Through Setbacks
Setting goals is a task every single person should embrace. Whether you do it every New Year or at various times throughout the year, knowing what you want in life will prevent that feeling of just floating through each day without purpose. Knowing your purpose and goals motivates you to wake up and take action every single day.
Setting goals in every aspect of your life will keep you focused on what you want. Whether it’s about losing weight to regain your health or increasing your business profits to move to a warmer climate, knowing what you want allows you to put action steps in place. After all, nothing happens in life without taking action.
Successful People Who Set Goals
If you’re feeling defeated with not reaching goals in the past, don’t worry. Even the most successful celebrities and business owners have seen their own failures but continued to set goals anyway.
Entertainer extraordinaire Beyoncé keeps a photograph of an Academy Award by her treadmill where she sees it every day. In 2013 she won an Oscar for the theme song to the James Bond movie, Skyfall.
Michael Jordan, arguably one of the best professional basketball players of all time, was rejected by the high school basketball varsity team because he was too short. Told he would never play at that level, Michael trained even harder and visualized his name in a professional locker room.
Walt Disney was laughed at by many bankers when he proposed his idea for the Disney World theme park. The last laugh is on them because today the entire Disney franchise – including the many theme parks, movies, and merchandise – are worth many billions of dollars.
JK Rowling, famously known for writing the Harry Potter series, couldn’t get book publishers to talk to her. Depending on food stamps to survive, she finally found a publisher who agreed to publish her book after the publisher’s daughter started reading the book and became entranced.
Count Your Failures as Lessons Learned
Thomas Edison is another person who was labeled as “stupid” by his teachers, yet at one point he held over 1,000 patents for new inventions. Most famous for inventing the lightbulb, Edison is also known for this quote, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” You may not have reached every goal but that doesn’t mean you stop trying. Revise your goals, voice what is most important in your life, and take action steps toward those goals.
Top mistakes I see entrepreneurs making.....
Do you have your goals just on New Years? Business goals help you gauge your success and help you stay motivated to reach those goals. Some people think the planning stage is drudgery but even those entrepreneurs who prefer the “fly by the seat of your pants” approach to running their business have specific goals in mind. Not having goals is equivalent to being on a hamster wheel going nowhere.
Take a few minutes and think about what you want to accomplish in your business and make sure you’re not making any of these mistakes in your goal-setting process: Whenever you do it!
1. Procrastinating. You don’t need to wait until January 1st to set your goals. Try setting quarterly goals instead. If the idea seems overwhelming, set a timer for 30 minutes and start mapping your goals on paper.
2. Not prioritizing. You can probably brainstorm dozens of goals that you want to achieve but having too many will distract you from the most important ones. Business goals are meant to help you focus, not get distracted; so minimize your goals and place the most important ones at the top of the list.
3. Being too vague. Saying you want to “make more money” is too vague and you don’t have any way to measure if you’re reaching that goal. “More money” could mean an extra $100 per month or an extra $10,000 per month. Which would you rather see? Be as specific as possible with your goals so you can track your progress.
4. Setting goals that are too lofty or ambitious. Sure, you should dream big when envisioning the lifestyle you want but if you set a goal of making six figures this year when you haven’t reached the $50K mark, six figures most likely won’t happen – at least not this year. Be realistic about your goals and break down those lofty goals into smaller, more achievable goals. It might take you two or three years to reach six figures but it’s not impossible.
5. Not working on your goals daily. Every task you undertake should lead you toward your goal. If you’re still doing busy work or behind-the-scenes admin work instead of money-making tasks, consider hiring a virtual assistant. Outsourcing the necessary busywork will free up your time to get creative and focus on your book, next course, or upcoming webinar. Yes, you’ll have to pay your VA but you’ll still end up making more money in the end because you’re solely focused on your money makers.
One more piece of advice: You’re running a business, not pursuing a hobby. So think like a business person and visualize where you want to see your business in one year. What goals do you need for that to happen? What action steps do you need to take every day to make those goals a reality?
If Making a Goals List Sounds Boring, I’ve Got a Course for you! FREE when you are a member of my community The Idea Lab for Entrepreneurs
Since 2009, Suzanne has supported entrepreneurs, practice owners and leaders to grow personally and professionally. She is a technology wizard, and a master certified coach (10,000 + hours) with a unique coaching background and a genuine interest in seeing others succeed.
Drawing upon her background as a competitive athlete, 20 years as a Dental Hygienist and the study of positive psychology, the neuroscience of habits, nutrition and personal wellbeing she takes coaching to the next level for her clients. This combination of NLP, Positive Psychology, Emotional Intelligence, High-Performance Habits, Ancient Wisdom & Modern Tools now known as the Taylord Method has been dubbed the "secret weapon" for entrepreneurs.
*Life Coaching based in Positive Psychology
*Mental Fitness & Emotional Intelligence Training
*High-Performance Coaching-Habits, Nutrition, Exercise, Mindset
*Taylord Sales Method
*Workshops & Speaking for Networking Groups, Chambers and Masterminds